This food truck inspired panini grilled cheese recipe features fresh California Avocados, Sundried Tomato and Olive Pesto and Tomato Basil Cheddar Cheese. You won’t want to miss this recipe!
I love food trucks…as an eater and a cook. I obviously love to eat food, hence why I love to eat from food trucks. But as someone who develops recipes and does food photography for a living, I absolutely love the spark of creativity I get from eating at a food truck.
Food trucks, at least around here, have a lot of pressure to be really good and unique. We have some amazing restaurants in Kansas City, and not so many food trucks. There isn’t any hiding among a ton of trucks hoping to squeak by… you either serve amazing food, or your gone.
Have you ever visited a Grilled Cheese food truck? I had the chance to visit one a few weeks ago and was astonished at the variety of grilled cheese sandwiches out there! Who knew a grilled cheese sandwich didn’t have to simply be American cheese on toasted bread? There are so many amazing possibilities!
So, inspired by food trucks as well as a shipment of fresh, California Avocados and some Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar Cheese that showed up in my mailbox as well, I decided to do some grilled cheesing, panini style.
This panini grilled cheese sandwich recipe is as simple to put together as it sounds. Butter up some Texas Toast, slather a good amount of pesto on the bread (I love to use DeLallo Brands Simply Pesto in Sundried Tomato and Olive variety), add a good helping of fresh California Avocados, then slice up some Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar Cheese and you are good to go! Food truck inspired grilled cheese panini recipe without the lines or outrageous prices!
Avocado and Pesto Panini Grilled Cheese
- For each sandwich:
- 2 slices Texas toast style bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon Pesto I prefer DeLallo Sundried Tomato and Olive variety
- 3 ounces Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar Cheese sliced
- 1/2 fresh California Avocado peeled and seed removed, sliced thin
- Pre-heat a panini press grill to medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread one side of each slice of Texas toast style bread with butter. On the non buttered side of one slice of bread, spread the pesto.
- Add a layer of cheddar cheese then a layer of California Avocados. Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Place assembled sandwich in preheated panini press for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted.
- Serve immediately.
Disclosure: I am proud to be a brand ambassador for California Avocados. For recipes, information and more inspiration, please visit their website.