This recipe for Walking Tacos was created using fresh California Avocados.
Cinco de Mayo is coming up, which happens to be my favorite food holiday of the year. I know that Cinco de Mayo has way more significance than just the food, but you have to admit…it’s hard to find a holiday to celebrate with better food around!
For the avocado lover, especially, Cinco de Mayo is the mecca of all holidays because it’s the perfect time to highlight California Avocados, which are newly in season. There are so many fantastic recipes featuring avocados this time of year! Give me an avocado plain, and I’m a happy girl. Give me a buffet of recipes, all featuring avocados, and I’m thrilled. Like a kid in a candy shop!
If you’ve been to any kind of fair or festival, you’ve most likely seen Walking Tacos around, usually featuring ground beef. We enjoy walking tacos so much, you may have remembered me blogging about the ground beef version a few years back (recipe can be found here). I especially love to serve Walking Tacos at parties…it’s the perfect “hold in your hand and walk around and socialize” food! Great for a Cinco de Mayo party!
I decided to “California”-up my recipe a bit. Instead of using ground beef and taco seasoning, I used some lightly seasoned grilled chicken breasts. I also added some bacon and replaced the typical Western Dressing with a Cheddar Chipotle dressing. I, of course, recommend topping your Walking Taco with a generous helping of California Avocados. This is one of those party recipes you’ll become known for… people will be making it at their own parties and remembering that it was at your epic Cinco de Mayo event where they had it the first time.
Happy almost Cinco de Mayo and happy California Avocado Season! Enjoy!
California Avocado Walking Tacos
- 6 individual sized bags of Doritos or Fritos chips
- 2 grilled chicken breasts seasoned with kosher salt and pepper
- 6 slices cooked bacon diced
- 1 can Bush’s Black Beans cooked and drained
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese shredded or diced
- 2 California Avocados pit removed and diced
- 1 bag Spring Mix salad greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Chipotle Cheddar or Southwestern salad dressing I use Brianna's brand
- Gently take each individual bag of chips and crush the chips. Once the chips are crushed, cut open the top of the bag.
- Scoop lettuce into each chip bag. Top with diced and cooked chicken breasts, bacon, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and avocados.
- Drizzle with Chipotle Cheddar salad dressing over the top.
- Using a spoon, gently fold the mixture, from the bottom up, together within the bag.
- Serve with plastic forks for a true on the go meal
Disclosure: I’m honored and grateful to have an ongoing relationship with California Avocados. All opinions expressed are my own.