This post is brought to you by Bush’s Beans – and my gaggle of hungry kids home for the summer
Oh my gosh – my kids have been home for the summer exactly one week and they have become the most demanding little creatures. For some reason, they keep saying I’m supposed to feed them at certain times of the day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner? What? I didn’t sign up for that, did I?
As much as I love to cook, I will admit that I don’t love cooking three meals a day… and having to feed people for breakfast, lunch and dinner is just right at the point of too much hassel. Really. Don’t you agree?
In all honesty – ok well the above was fairly honest – but I do feed them and I might not mind it as much as I seem to let on. Or maybe I do, but I still feed them.
Since I have to make breakfast and cook lunch, I’ve been turning to my crockpot to cook dinner for me. Oh how I love the ease of just dumping a bunch of stuff into the slow cooker and out comes a meal that qualifies as a suitable dinner for hungry kids.
This recipe for Southwest Black Bean Chicken and Rice comes from the Bush’s Beans website. It pretty much consists of everything I love in the world… black, beans, rice, chicken and it’s easy, so it doesn’t feel like work to feed my kids.
Tell me I’m not alone… is it hard for you to make three square meals a day without turning to cereal and sandwiches all the time? It’s the only part of summer I don’t love… but thanks to recipes like this one, I get over it pretty fast.
Southwest Black Bean Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 15 ounce cans BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs or breasts; brown completely.
- Combine chicken, broth, seasonings, onion and rice in slow cooker. Top with beans and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook 4-5 hours on low. Serve topped with cheese.
You might also enjoy these black bean recipes from other bloggers around the web:
- Black Bean and Cheese Quesadillas from She Wears Many Hats
- Mexican Black Bean Pizza from Aggie’s Kitchen
- Black Bean and Corn Soup from We Are Not Martha
- Warm Black Bean Chipotle Dip from Brown Eyed Baker
Disclosure: I’m proud to continue my relationship as a compensated Bush’s Beans brand ambassador. All opinions expressed are my own.