It doesn’t get much easier than this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken recipe from the Skinnytaste Fast and Slow Cookbook!
Every single time I use my slow cooker I wonder why I don’t pull it out more often. The Slow Cooker is seriously one of the best inventions on the planet for busy people like you and me. Why oh why don’t I use it all the time instead of pulling it out just here and there?
When I do pull it out and cook with it, I feel so accomplished that I have dinner planned and and on its way to ready before even breakfast is over. I love things that make me feel like I have my act together!
Just like my slow cooker, my friend Gina Homolka makes cookbooks that are absolute must haves for people with busy schedules but who still want a nutritious meal on the table. Her newest cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow, is quite possibly the perfect cookbook for me. Not a single recipe in this cookbook takes much hands on time and effort to make, but the results are just as if you’ve slaved over your stove all day.
Just like Gina’s first cookbook (you can read about it here), the Skinnytaste Fast and Slow Cookbook is full of mouth watering photographs, recipes complete with nutrition information, and dishes your whole family will love. If you have a cook on your gift buying list this year, this cookbook is a must buy (& if they don’t have Gina’s other cookbook, now’s a great time to buy that too!).
Gina is all about balance with her cookbooks, so you’ll not only find great dinner recipes, she includes plenty of tasty, calorie friendly dessert recipes too!
Add the Bestselling Skinnytaste Fast and Slow cookbook to your arsenal of great tools to have when your schedule is too full to think much about dinner. You can buy it from Amazon here.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Recipe from Skinnytaste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2/4 cup Homemade BBQ Sauce see below for recipe
- Homemade BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- For the Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Season the chicken with the salt, garlic powder, and pepper to taste. Place it in a slow cooker and pour 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is falling apart. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and serve.
- For the BBQ Sauce (makes 2 cups - more than you need for the BBQ chicken recipe)
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, honey, molasses, liquid smoke, salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and chili powder. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15-20 minutes.
- The sauce will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet says
I am all about slow cooker dinners these days and this BBQ chicken sounds incredible! Gina’s cookbook has so many gems! Love it!
I am all about the slow cooker these busy days!
I’ve been CRAVING bbq lately, and stopping by your page today just seems like fate. This recipe looks SO good and so simple, too! Perfect for a weeknight dinner. Happening soon.
Maria Wright says
My slow cooker only has the 6 hour setting for HIGH not LOW. I have a 8 hour setting for LOW. Is it a big deal if I set it for 8 hrs LOW and take it out at 6 hrs? I don’t want over cooked or under cooked chicken.
This looks good but will it work with a 4 quart oval crock pot? 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce does not sound like it will cover the chicken.
How many weight watchers smart points is this recipe?
This is the second time I’m making these and I’ve passed the recipe on. I didn’t change a thing, it’s perfect. This time i doubled the BBQ sauce so I can use it later. Thanks!
I’m so glad! Thank you so much for letting me know!
Tracy S says
Can you make this with chicken breasts?
You could but they’d be a bit dry I’d imagine. I haven’t tried it though!