A Hot Buttered Rum recipe gets a fall like twist with spiced rum and pumpkin spiced butter!
Hot Buttered Rum… I can’t think of a better cocktail to curl up with on a cold, fall day. I actually hadn’t had Hot Buttered Rum before until a few weeks ago. I was visiting a friend one evening and as I sat down, she handed me a cup of this steamy, warm, smooth and buttery beverage. I was instantly hooked…and was also wondering what took me so long to get this concoction into my life. It was love at first sip, as it totally warmed me up from the inside, out.
When I think of cocktails I often think of my friend, Jessica, from the How Sweet Eats blog. I’m sure you all know Jessica. And I’m sure you all know that she is expecting a baby very soon! What you may not know is that Jessica continued to post cocktail recipes even after she found out she was pregnant just so her internet friends wouldn’t suspect something was up. That’s some serious cocktail dedication!
When I was invited to share a “trashed up” recipe for Jessica’s virtual baby shower, I knew that it had to be a cocktail. And after my first sip of Hot Buttered Rum a few days ago, I knew that my cocktail was going to be a trashed up version of my new favorite drink.
I wouldn’t necessarily say adding pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice to a hot buttered rum cocktail is trashing it up… it may be very much the opposite. It’s more like a natural marriage of fall like flavors with the sole purpose of being together. It’s a very good thing.
I hope you all will join me in wishing Jessica a very happy and simple transition into motherhood. And Jessica, I can’t wait to be texting with you about your baby the way we text about all of those other internet babies we love. You are going to be a great mom, and I’m super excited to meet your little bundle of chubs! Much love to you, friend!
Join me in celebrating Jessica from How Sweet Eats Virtual Baby Shower!
Visit the blogs below to see what great things they’ve cooked up and scroll below to the bottom for my trashed up Hot Buttered Rum Recipe!
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta
- Bakers Royale – Trash’d Street Tacos
Hot Pumpkin Buttered Rum Cocktail
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup dark spiced rum
- 3 cups boiling water
Beat butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree in a blender on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
Whisk together 2 tablespoons spiced pumpkin butter with 2 ounces dark rum in each of 4 heatproof glasses. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over each, and stir.
Serve warm and enjoy!